Fostering the sustainability and prosperity of the pork industry for the good of hog farmers and all Manitobans.
The Manitoba Pork Council (MPC) is the association of the province’s pig producers. As a membership association, MPC delivers a wide range of programs and activities designed to benefit its farmer members and promote the industry as a whole. MPC in its current form was created in 1999.
Today, all producers have the option to market hogs through brokers or directly to processing plants. They must also pay a levy of $0.80 per market hog and $0.19 per weanling to MPC.
MPC’s mission is to foster the sustainability and prosperity of the pork industry for the good of all hog farmers and all Manitobans. Our vision is to become a centre of excellence for pork production in Canada.
MPC staff and directors will strive for excellence in an ethical, accountable and responsive manner. As individuals and as a team, we will treat our clients and co-workers fairly and with respect.
MPC’s basic mandate (Section 2 Manitoba Hog Producers Marketing Plan Regulation):
- To enhance sustainable hog production practices, odour management and the use of livestock manure as a fertilizer and soil conditioner;
- To support research activities related to hog production, environmental practices, quality assurance and animal welfare initiatives;
- To encourage programs related to market development, community relations, promotion and consumer education respecting the regulated product;
- To support initiatives related to human resources, education and training for the hog industry.
- Two associated organizations also operate from the same office as MPC. They are: Manitoba Hog Grading Inc. and Manitoba Pork Credit Corporation.
News and EventsFree safety training for hog farmers
Monday, June 17, 2013
Assiniboine Community College is offering the following training sessions to ensure that all hog producers have the opportunity to become certified. These sessions are FREE to participants: EMERGENCY FIRST AID H2S AWARENESS If you are interested in taking a training …New Manager of Contract Research joins Prairie Swine Centre
Friday, June 14, 2013
Lee Whittington, President of Prairie Swine Centre in Saskatchewan, has announced the recruitment of Helen Thoday to its management team as Manager of Contract Research Services. Mr. Whittington indicated the importance of this appointment “Recruiting talented people with knowledge of …Win a pair of Taylor Swift tickets!
Monday, June 10, 2013
MANITOBA PORK COUNCIL PHOTO CONTEST You want to see the SOLD OUT Taylor Swift show and we have tickets! We want a picture of YOU grilling your favourite PORK recipe. Follow Manitoba Pork on Facebook (Manitoba Pork) and on Twitter …